Top 10 consumer complaints | Business
(WMC-TV) - Cars, credit and construction top the list of the industries most consumers can't stand, according to a survey by the Consumer Federation of America and the North American Consumer Protection Investigators.
The organizations surveyed 38 state consumer protection agencies about "...the most common, fastest-growing and worst complaints they received in 2011."
TOP TEN COMPLAINTS (source: Tonya Hetzler, interim president of NACPI)
1. AUTO: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales of new and used cars, lemons, faulty repairs, leasing and towing disputes.
2. CREDIT/DEBT: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage modifications and mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relief services, predatory lending, illegal or abusive debt collection tactics.
3. HOME IMPROVEMENT/CONSTRUCTION: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete the job.
4. RETAIL SALES: False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver.
5. UTILITIES: Service problems or billing disputes with phone, cable, satellite, Internet, electric and gas service.
6. SERVICES: Misrepresentations, shoddy work, failure to have required licenses, failure to perform.
7. (TIE) INTERNET SALES: Misrepresentations or other deceptive practice, failure to deliver online purchases; LANDLORD/TENANT: Unhealthy or unsafe conditions, failure to make repairs or provide promised amenities, deposit and rent disputes, illegal eviction tactics.
8. FRAUD: Bogus sweepstakes and lotteries, work-at-home schemes, grant offers, fake check scams, the grandparent scam and other common frauds.
9. REAL ESTATE: Timeshare sales and resales, retirement communities and assisted living facilities, real estate fraud.
10. (TIE) HOUSEHOLD GOODS: Misrepresentations, failure to deliver, faulty repairs in connection with furniture or appliances; HOME SOLICITATIONS: Misrepresentations or failure to deliver in door-to-door, telemarketing or mail solicitations, do-not-call violations.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.