McGinnis Hardware closes after 146 years | Business
A sixth-generation family hardware business is shutting it’s doors after 146 years of service due to a difficult economy and corporate competitors.
According to the Commercial Appeal, Jan Russell, part owner and manager, said sales have been on a steady decline over the past couple years as competition from larger hardware franchises cut into the store's profits.
"It's tough to watch it wither and die," said family member Jeff Russell. "It's painful and it hurts. It feels like a death in the family."
Top Collierville Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp